My pride and joy!

My pride and joy!
Apple Picking in Cashmere,WA

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The official gardening season has started!!

I have been waiting and waiting for the "last frost" warning to pass.. Every day and every night I look at the temperature and say, just a little longer!!

 I was too eager with Matthew Cucumber
 
and he didn't make it.. :(   It was just too chilly overnight a the poor plant died of being too cold..

This week is going to hit the 70's so off I go prepping everything for planting..

This past weekend I planted a couple more things by seed inside to give them a bit more of a head start as they are warm weather veggies.. It still is a little cold in the morning and my gardening plot is in the shade until 11am.. Once the sun moves position it will be more sunshine (I hope!)..


I have planted squash, tomatoes, pumpkins and Thai Basil and hopefully will plant them on Memorial Day long weekend.. Till then, I am going to prep the garden plot with compost and peat!

Yesterday, May 17th I had some wonderful helpers Matthew and his buddy Kyler help with some plantings..

First Matthew and I made a new little plot area for a couple of containers.. Strawberry pot and Basil plant (GO PESTO!)


Then we prepped a hanging basket and are going to try cherry tomatoes in there!


Now the fun part!! POTATOES

My inspiration for my potatoe towers!

Matthew and Kyler helped prepped the spot for the potatoes that are going to be grown in a tower.
What I bought was re barb from Home Depot (4ft high) and I had left over chicken wire (from somewhere)..

   






These are yukon gold potatoes and I hopefully will have the reed screen around them next week.

For those of you who know my backyard, here is a peak of the new garden plot and lawn after the landscaping project we just did this spring.. Gone are the maple tree stumps and the uneven backfill from our addition almost 4yrs ago. So excited with the space we have now..

No comments:

Post a Comment