My pride and joy!

My pride and joy!
Apple Picking in Cashmere,WA

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Cucumber is growing

Matthew Cucumber Seedling has a sister... Brooklyn Cucumber Seedling has emerged beside him, though I am sad to say that she may not be joining him in the garden.. We will see, as I am going to try to split them into two different plants.



Outside I went on a beautiful Tuesday and started to work on a home for Mr. Cucumber.
It took me awhile to figure out where to put him as it's all about length of sun, spacing and whether or not it would create shade for other plants.

I decided to put it beside the strawberry bed (which may not be the strawberry bed for much longer).
The shade would be projected behind the bed but not to shade the raspberry patch.. Trial and error is how this will work..

I took and old trellis and nailed it into the side of the box for support.. Then I added extra netting around it to help the cucumber grow up the trellis.




Because I am putting the cucumber in a wine barrel, I didn't want to waste so much soil for a little plant. I layed the bottom half with styroform (will not decompose, but is more used as a filler) and the rest with compost and potting soil.  I will have to wait for a couple of weeks to transplate Mr. Matthew as the seedling still has to grown and I have to warm up the soil (covering it with a black weed barrier cloth)

No comments:

Post a Comment